BRC Global Standard for Packaging & Packaging Materials
Globally accepted and adopted by major retailers, manufacturers and packaging businesses.
Consumer safety and protection have never had a higher profile. The need to ensure that, at all points in the supply chain, those involved in packaging production are working to rigorous standards has become a prerequisite to trade in this sector.
In consultation with the food industry and the Institute of Packaging (IoP), the British Retail Consortium (BRC) developed a packaging and packaging materials standard. This standard is designed to protect consumers by providing a common basis for certification of companies supplying packaging and packaging materials.
BRC Global Standard for Packaging and Packaging Materials sets out hygiene, safety and quality requirements for packaging manufacturers supplying the food and consumer products industries. It also helps retailers and food manufacturers meet their legal obligations.
A key aim of the standard is to help protect consumers by providing a common basis of evaluation, recognised and benchmarked by the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI). It is globally accepted and has been adopted by major retailers, manufacturers and packaging businesses.
The benefits of BRC certification
BRC packaging and packaging materials certification brings significant benefits to companies involved in manufacturing food and consumer product packaging. It:
- demonstrates your commitment to producing a safe, legal and functional product
- increases access to markets by meeting customer requirements
- ensures continuous improvement of quality, hygiene and product safety standards and processes
- promotes best practice
- meets legal and contractual requirements
- improves hazard and risk management
- is globally recognised by major retailers and food manufacturers
- is bench marked and recognised by GFSI.